I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/05/2015

J.D RIVERA

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH

JD RIVERA
PLEASE WELCOME THE BRILLIANT AND TALENTED AUTHOR BEHIND THE NEW RELEASE CHASING STARS, JD RIVERA

Tell us a little about yourself

Well, I'm actually quite boring. I live in the great state of Oklahoma with my husband and our two sons. I love getting to the beach any chance I get and I'm obsessed with Diet Mountain Dew and the OKC Thunder. 


How would you describe your books?

I guess I would describe my books as romantic and heartfelt. I try to write what's in the characters heart.


What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping (if not already) to explore new ventures?

Most of the books I've written have been new adult with the exception of Guarded and Defensive. The characters were a little older in those books. As far as venturing into another genre, I'm not sure. I just write whatever is in my head. :)




Share with us a quote from one of your favourite characters

-This quote is from Hayes in Chasing the Stars: 
“Breathtaking,” he replied before he placed a gentle kiss on my cheek. “I wanted to show you something almost as breathtaking as you.”


Is it hard to come up with new ideas or plots?

Yes and no. I can usually come up with the main plot fairly easily (the characters and story usually come from a dream) but I still run into writers block occasionally.


How long does it take you to complete a finished book?

I would say 4 to 5 months. It just depends on what all is happening in my life.  


Who is the easiest character to write for and why? Hardest and why?

I would say the easiest for me to write was Hayes in Chasing the Stars. His voice just flowed from my head to the keyboard. The hardest character for me to write was Emily in Trying to Get Over You. It was hard to express her feelings without her coming off as rude and hateful. 



TEASERS FOR CAHASING THE STARS

Are any of your characters based on real people? People you may know on TV or Movie stars?

Not really. I usually come up with the characters based on a dream I've head. Now, some of Jackson's (Guarded and Defensive) and Cooper's (Trying to Get Over You) personality come from my husband's personality but none of the story is based on real life.


Without giving anything away, what is or are your favourite scenes in your book?

I would have to say my favorite scene in Chasing the Stars was when Hayes tried to let Mackenzie know his feelings without really saying it.


What's up next for you?

I have a novel and novella that I'm working on. Some characters from Chasing the Stars might make an appearance.  :)


Do you have any hobbies?

I love to read. I also love to be outdoors walking or hiking.


Is there anyone besides you in your family who writes?

Not that I know of. If they do, they haven't told me.

When did you start? What was your first published piece?

I've been writing for a while now. Not all of it is good though. My first published work was ‘Trying to Get Over You’.


Do you have any favourite books or authors?

I have so many favorite books and authors. I'm a huge fan of Sylvain Reynard. I loved Gabriel's Inferno.


Out of all the books and stories, you've written which is your favourite.

I would have to say Chasing the Stars. The characters will always have a huge piece of my heart.

Do you have a favourite character?

Hayes. I absolutely love him!


What is your favourite genre to write?

I love to write new adult. It's a great genre.


What are your favourite movies?

I love Joe Dirt and Sweet Home Alabama.


How long have you been writing?

I've been writing for a while but I didn't publish anything until last year.


Who or what has been your biggest literary influence.

That's a hard question. Every author out there. :)


How difficult is it for you to come up with one of your brilliant plots?

- The plot isn't that difficult because I usually dream the plot. It's the filler stuff that's hard for me.


 How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?

I would say yes but I've had a few surprises.


About how long does it take you to take for you to complete a novel from concept to completion?

Usually 4 to 6 months. It all just depends though. My kids keep me busy!


Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?

Yes! I had planned on writing a novel from Cooper's POV (Trying to Get Over You) but I just couldn't get it to flow. Instead, I re-released Trying to Get Over You with Cooper's POV.


Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers.

-Let me think... I freak out every time I publish. I thought it would get easier but it doesn't. In fact, I think it gets harder.


Which one of your books would you like to see made into a movie?

Hmm, maybe ‘Chasing the Stars’. I don't really know why except it's probably my favorite of the books I've written. Second place would be a short story I wrote titled Always Friends. I really loved Ryder and Megan. :)


What is your favourite band or artist?

Miranda Lambert. I love her music! But I listen to everything.


What was it like to publish your first book?

It was kind of scary but really exciting. It was a weird feeling knowing that people would be reading my words. Before that, I was the only one that had read my writing.


What advice would you give to others who want to make writing their career?

-I would say to do it. Write like crazy and do it!


Do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?

Sometimes I will get ideas while I'm driving and by the time I've stopped and can write them down, I can't remember anything. It's frustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment