I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/05/2015

SAMANTHA ATKIN

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH
SAMANTHA ATKIN


PLEASE WELCOME THE BRILLANT AUTHOR BEHIND ROCK THE VIPER SAMMIE J

 Tell us a little about yourself? 


Oh dear! Really? I'm really very boring. Ok, I'm your average housewife. I'm married with four kids, a dog, a cat and some fish. Even though I love my family, I love to escape my normal life and become Sammie J and explore the worlds I create in my head.


  How would you describe your books?


Good question. I like to think they are romantic, maybe with a hint of erotica thrown in there. With twist and turns that keep the reader wanting to read more. Hopefully connecting with the characters I write and feel their emotions along with them. 


What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping (If not already) to explore new ventures?


Rock the Viper, Forever Viper and Piece of Heaven are all paranormal books. I have just finished Butterfly which is my first book ventured out of that genre. I will write both, but Paranormal will be prominent in that.  

Share with us a quote from one of your favourite characters in your books?


I will apologize now because this quote is rude. It comes from Butterfly and a character called Amelia.



"Tony babe.  Unless you want me to tell this whole pub, that you shout out 'drink from my fountain' when you cum from a blowjob, I suggest you leave NOW."



Is it hard to come up with new ideas and /or plots?


Not right now, no. My stories tend to come to me through my dreams. So as long as they keep coming I have a few stories left in me yet.


What inspired you to write your book?


This goes back to the last question. It was a dream that repeated each night for a week. I opened word, intending to just write down what the dream was about and the rest is history. I had no intention of writing a book, but this story played on my mind and Piece of Heaven was born. Then the others just followed.


Who is the easiest character to write for and why? Hardest and why?


Cruz from the viper series was the easiest to write for. He is rude, crude with a soft side a bit like me.
Evie from Butterfly was the hardest. She brought out emotions in me that I have kept hidden for a long time.


Without giving anything away, what is / are your favourite scenes in your book (s)?


For me in each of my books the male characters aren't afraid to show their emotions. So, it's when they declare their love for their women that some of my favourite scenes come from.


Do you have any hobbies?


I do. Although I don't have much time to explore them anymore. I love to read which takes me away from my own mind. I also love photography. My dream job would be to take photos of the models we see on book covers.


Do you have a specific writing style?


Yes, I prefer to write in the POV. But I am going to try my hand at third person one day.


How did you come up with the title?


You know that is a very good question. I really have no idea they just come to me, even before I have finished the book. In fact, it's usually when I write the first chapter.


How much of the book is realistic? Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?


Well, being paranormal how realistic can you get? No, none of my books are based on anyone I know or events in my own life. Although I wish I could meet a vampire rock star and a geek who will accept my past.


What books have most influenced your life most?


There are so many, but I have to say The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J. R. Ward. These books brought my love for the paranormal alive and started me on this journey.


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


Oh boy! That’s a hard one to answer. I have so many authors that I love and have helped me out, but the main one Is T.A. Grey. She has always encouraged me and helps with any question I have.


What book are you reading now?


I have so many books to read. I have just started reading Return of the Wolf by Dianna Hardy. It's one of my favourite series.


What are your current projects? If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your books?


I'm going to try my hand at a short story and then continue with a novella in the Viper series. Would I change anything in my books? Yes, I would then can always be better than they are.


 Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


*Sniggers* This question is answered in question six. Although I do remember writing a story when I was a teenager and hiding it away. So my mother or brothers couldn't find it because it had sex in it.


Can you share a little of your current work with us?


I sure can, this is from Butterfly.
"You're going to have to trust me on this one. I need to try, to keep you free from harm."
After another five minutes of telling a nervy Sarah I would be okay, she finally agreed to let me go and plead our case to Stella. With my motto of show no weakness repeating in my head, I plod ten cells down, crossing my fingers hopefully. As I draw nearer, I swallow down any emotion I felt, except for the half assed smile I allowed to show and I stepped up to the goons blocking her cell door. "I would like an audience with her majesty, if she will allow it?"
Cackling came from somewhere inside and then her demanding voice declared.
"Let her in!" The two muscular women, who look like they have been slapped with a wet fish, slowly parted and made me the meat in the sandwich when I squeezed my way in between them. When I came out the other side, I had to take a gulp of air before I retched. I wiped armpit juice away from my face and said aloud.
"Someone needs to tell the pit bulls to use deodorant."


 Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


All of it, I'm only kidding. The flow of the story is something I find hard also emotions. At times I'm not sure if I'm using too much emotion to get my point across or too little. It's something I'm working on.


Who is your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?


That's like asking me who my favourite child is. Ok, that would be J. R. Ward. I love the way she has created the world of the black dagger brotherhood and how she connects all the characters and the roles they play. I love the emotions she brings out in me which each book, I always laugh and cry with her books.


 Who designed the covers?


Rock the Viper, Forever Viper and Piece of Heaven were all designed by Kellie over at Book Cover by Design and Butterfly was designed by Rachel over at No Sweat Graphics. Both are amazing at what they do and I will be using them in the future.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?


Remembering facts about the characters, I'm terrible for it. I have to go back and search for the answers.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?


That I'm mad. Seriously, I notice people staring at me when I take the kids to school as I mumble to myself, "I must remember to add that." LOL. The main thing was, that I have found something I enjoy doing and I will keep doing what I have come to love.


Do you have any advice for other writers?


Just keep doing what you love, remain strong and believe in yourself.


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?


Are you kidding me? Of course I do. A thank you will never be enough, but it's all I have. I will keep saying it to every reader who takes a chance on me. For those that fall in love with my characters and to those that plead with me for more stories. You keep me going and more determined to keep me on this path. THANK YOU.


What is your favourite genre to write?


Paranormal Romance


What is your favourite genre to read?


It will always be Paranormal Romance, but lately I have begun to enjoy erotica more.


How long have you been writing for?


I think it's about eighteen months now. I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn.


 What is your favourite movie?


The lost boys.


How difficult is it to come up with one of your amazing plots?


At times I have to sit back and think do I really want the story to go that way. But sometimes my fingers even surprise myself and the story heads in a direction I wasn't expecting.


How about characters?  Are they easily born and developed?


I have never had a problem with one character I have written about. They come to life as the story develops.


How long does it take you to complete a novel from concept to completion?


Anywhere between three and six months.


What was your first published piece? And how was it to publish your first book?


Rock the Viper was my first book to be published. It was scaring and exciting all at the same time. I was putting myself out there and open for criticism. I have received good and bad. I take it all on board and can only better myself.
Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?


I have never trashed one, but I have come very close to. Piece of Heaven would have never seen the light of day, if it wasn't for one lady. Thank you Tammy.


Out of all your brilliant characters which ones were your favourite?


They all are. But Juan from the Viper series has a special place in my heart, because he is my muse.


Do you have a special time or place to write?
It's my usual place on the sofa which is dented with my ass cheeks. I write when the kids are at school, it's the only time you get peace and quiet around here.


Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?


Ok, I can't believe I'm going to write this. The Viper series is about a threesome, two men and a woman. On the way each morning to school and on the
way back, my hubby and I say hello to a couple of old men and a woman who walk to the shop each morning to get their papers. We are very fond of them and each time we spot them, my hubby turns to me and says, "Here comes the threesome." I crack up each time, because they must be in their 70's and the idea of them together just makes me laugh.  Childish, I know, but that's me.


Which one of your awesome books would you like to see be made into a movie?


Oh!! Definitely the Viper series. My Juan and Noah coming to life on the big screen. *Swoon*


What was the worst job you have ever done?


A cleaner for a pub. I won't tell you what I found in some of the toilet cubicles.


Do you ever get any ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hand on to them?


In the bloody bath all the time. As you can imagine I can't use a pen and paper in there. I just have to hope I remember them. Some I do, some I don't.


Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow and how do you overcome writer's block?


NO, I'm not good with pressure I need to do it in my own time. When writer's block hits I usually read or clean. Sometimes I have to walk away and come back to it a couple of days later.


Who was your inspiration behind your lead men in your books?


That's easy to answer. My perfect man,
my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment