I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/05/2015

VICTORA BROCK


Please welcome the brilliant Welsh author V.L Brock .Hello Victoria are you,Tell us a little
 about yourself?



Hi Lou. My name is V.L. Brock and I am the author of romantic suspense standalone, Impulses and the dark romantic suspense/psychological series, The Dark Evoke Series.

Tell us your latest news?

Well, currently I am editing the final installment of The Dark Evoke Series, titled Transcending Nirvana. I'm aiming towards a June 16th release. I find it poetic that the series comes to an end on the exact day that it began.


I'm also working on a standalone which is veering completely from romantic suspense, and is stepping into crime/psychological thriller.‎ A very, very dark story.

Are the stories old or new?

Impulses was my debut. It took me thirteen months to write before I finally pressed that publish button on February 18th 2014. Three-quarters of the story is based on fact, a lot like The Dark Evoke Series, so I suppose that theoretically, the stories are old, but are only just being told.


When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing my debut in 2012‎, but I have always had a creative streak when it came to writing both stories and poetry. 

Why did I begin writing?

 Well, I was in a very, VERY bad stage in my life. Writing was, not only and escape, but it helped me to let go of past regrets and rebuild bridges with my loved ones. It freed up a lot of space mentally, and I found it therapeutic. 

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

This is the question I think most writers/authors have a problem adjusting to. Is it when you write, 'The End'? When you press publish? First unit sold or first review? 

Personally, for me, I considered myself a writer when I couldn't think of anything other than writing, although I never came out and verbally classed myself as one. Writing consumed me. If I wasn't writing, I was thinking/talking about writing.

When I first experienced writers block, and I fell into a depression because of it, my mother was the one to tell me that it was time to embrace what I was doing and to class myself as a writer.

What inspired you to write your first book?

I had a story which I needed to tell, and that was it.

Impulses is three-quarters my life. I seen a lot; I'd been through a lot. I experienced a love which was the catalyst of change for me and my past effected him for many years, which lead to a battle to maintain, what I thought, was a true love. 


The only thing that inspired me to write Impulses, was my need to tell my story. To me, Impulses isn't just A story...it's MY story. The story of my life.

Do you have a specific writing style?

I wish I could say I do, but I don't. I can sit watching a movie and a premise will hit me. I'll take down the Cliff-notes version of it and just write.

Who was the easiest character to write for and why and  hardest and why?

Actually, I find the antagonist the easiest to write. It's easy to be vindictive and snarky. 

But in all honesty, there's a piece of me in every character I create, so I don't experience too much of a difficult time creating them.

How did you come up with the title?


There is ALWAYS a message in my titles, but the only way the reader can fully appreciate it, is by reading the novel.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

There are always messages in my novels. The Dark Evoke Series holds a strong message about abuse.


It's public knowledge that I, myself, had been in an abusive relationship and I began writing the series when I ‎was able to see the situation from the outsiders perspective - when it was harder to justify his behavior. 

I truly believe that as I got deeper into the series, I was learning more about myself through what Kady was going through and how she was coping with it. As Kady gets stronger, I was getting stronger also.

It's going to be sad for me to let them go because in a twisted way, it's almost like me accepting what I have been through, and laying everything to rest.

How much of the book is realistic?

I think I warbled on a little too much in my other answers. (Oops).

A minimum of three-quarters of my novels are all realistic.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?


Yes. They are based on my own life. 

I believe that we learn and we get stronger. If my experiences can help someone to understand or identify what they/or a loved one is going through, then my job is done.

Domestic abuse is rife in this day and age, with children no older than 15 experiencing it. It is a topic which needs addressing, because not everyone who is experiencing it, actually realizes what it truly is.

What books have most influenced your life most?


Malorie Blackmann's The Noughts an‎d Crosses Series.

Fifty Shades by E.L. James.

The Thoughtless Trilogy by S.C. Stephens.

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

S.C. Stephens. 

If I could be half the writer she is then I would be beyond delirious. 

I love that she is professional, talented and down to earth. The fact that she regularly communicates with her fans and offers advice is so touching. 

I'm honored that most of the advice I have been given since starting this journey, has been given by her. Even my crazy questions which has caused me to question my own sanity.

So a huge thank you to S.C. For being AMAZING!! 

What book are you reading now?

I'm rereading Effortless by S.C. Stephens. I can't wait to begin Thoughtful! Kellan Kyle is definitely my #1 BBF.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

I feel very guilty now. I am so behind on my TBR, it's embarrassing. 

What are your current projects?

I'm currently editing the final installment of The Dark Evoke Series, titled Transcending Nirvana, which is released 16th June 2015.

My new standalone project, Atonement is running smoothly and is by far the darkest book I have written. But I'm looking forward to having my fingers in lots of pies. I do eventually want to write a horror.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

No, I wouldn't. Considering I have so much in common with Kady, if I changed anything, then I would be changing my own personal experiences - experiences which have made me a stronger person.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

My Grandmother ‎was a published poet when she was alive. We would often sit and create a poem together on the weekends. I remember she would walk around in her black slippers, a pink cardigan with a tiny notepad in her pocket, a pen behind her ear and a cigarette in her mouth. She'd always say, "Take a pen and paper EVERYWHERE, lovely, because you never know when inspiration will strike."

Thanks to the BlackBerry, I no longer need to keep the pen and notepad on me, but there is one at the side of my bed, just in case.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

I would be honored. 

This is a small excerpt from Atonement which will be released at the end of the year.

Copyright (c) V.L. Brock 2015.

‎“Detective Stephens, thank you for coming on such short notice,” an old man holding a hefty black umbrella over his head, shook his hand, practically ignoring his partner standing over his shoulder, the droplets falling into his squinting eyes.

“It’s part of the job, right? So what have we got?”

All three of the men ducked beneath the yellow tape. Forensics men and woman in white body suits made their way to-and-fro, while inspectors set out marked boards alongside each crucial piece of evidence, no matter how insignificant it may be. Each step they took into the center of the crime scene had both Darryl’s and the kid’s stomach tying into knots.

“Male, mid-thirties.”

“Name?”

The elderly man shook his head solemnly.

“John Doe it is then.”

“It was called in at ten twenty-six, the phone records show the call came from this address, but the suspect insists it wasn’t her,” the man finished, handing his umbrella to the kid and lowering to a crouch. Between his fingers, he grasped the zipper of the black, shiny body-bag where John Doe laid. “You might want to prepare yourselves, boys.”

“Nothing can prepare you for what you see in this job,” Darryl flipped off then licked his lips. Knowing what had to be done, he took a deep breath. “Open him up.”

The night and the downpour swallowed the grating noise of the zipper lowering. The plastic being pulled open, offering an unobstructed view of the victim, on the other hand, wasn’t as silent.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

It depends on what sort of day I'm having. I can be sitting at the computer one day and easily bash out 6k words. Others, I can be sitting looking at that blank screen and the only thing to come is the school run six hours later.

What was your favorite book  growing up as a child?

The Dairy of The Killer Cat by Anne Fine.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

My favorite big author, as I've stated is S.C. Stephens.

My favorite Indie author has to Andrea Michelle. The Shifting Series was amazing and with each book I read, I truly believe that that woman has it in her to be the next S.C. Stephens.

Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

I have a few book signings planned for next year, but to be honest, I'm the wall flower. I like to be behind the scenes.

Who designed the covers?

Impulses and Seeking Nirvana was created by Deborah Bradseth at TugBoat. She also designed the covers for The Driven Trilogy.

Eluding Nirvana was created by Sprinkles On The Top Studios.

Transcending Nirvana was created by the amazing Cassy Roop. Heart you, girlie!

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

The hardest part for me is the end. When you get to that stage, you're tying up loose ends and you're basically letting those characters go. It's a very emotional experience.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

With each book I write, I'm learning more. Impulses was written in present tense, where as The Dark Evoke Series is in past tense and I found it so much easier and it flows much better.

As long as I continue to write, I will always learn.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

MOTIVATION.

Sit down and contemplate where you want this journey to take you. What do you want to accomplish and who do you eventually want to be?
BELIEVE. It can happen. You can make it a reality if you can see what you want clearly.
ROUTINE. Whether it be writing from 9am-2pm with several mugs of coffee, just maintain a routine. Your mind adjusts to it, hence, "I writing better in the mornings/or nights." Continuing with your own routine will help ensure you complete your task.

KEEP READING!
Our minds are sponges. With each book you read you are more aware of sentence structure and broadening vocabulary.


KEEP WRITING!
No matter what anyone says, no matter if anyone attempts to discourage, keep writing. You are doing this for you. Even when it begins to feel as though you're drowning in quicksand, remember what motivated you in the first place. It is possible.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

My gratitude is unending. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. Thank you for giving an unknown author a chance. Thank you for your support, your enthusiasm towards my works, and ‎for taking the time to review. 

I love you all.‎

No comments:

Post a Comment