I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/05/2015

MICHELLE LEIGHTON

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


WITH


MICHELLE LEIGHTON


PLEASE WELCOME THE LADY BROUGHT US THE BAD BOYS SERIES AND THE WILD ONES SERIES, MICHELLE LEIGHON.


How would you describe your books?

I would call my books steamy love stories that often include a twist.  The twisty parts satisfy my love of mystery :) LOL


What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping (if not already) to explore new ventures?


At present, I'm writing in the contemporary romance genre, but I have written paranormal romance, mystery/romance and thriller/romance.  I've dabbled in a bit of several.  I'm a dabbler. LOL
Is it hard to come up with new ideas and / or plots?

Not for me, no. I seem to have more ideas than I have time to write the books.  But that's a good thing. That means I have a lot of things to fall back on if my well ever runs dry. 


Do you have any hobbies?

I love to read, of course, but I also love to watch movies, swim and occasionally do some landscaping. I hate to get anything under my fingernails, though, so I don't landscape as much as I'd like :)


Do you have a specific writing style?

Well, I've written in past tense/ third person, past tense/ first person and present tense/ first person. I think my favorite is present tense/ first person. It's so much easier than having to worry about tense. LOL and I like writing in first person because, to me, it feels more personal. Like I'm PART of the story.


How did you come up with the title?

I take titles from content of the book, mostly.  If I have to have a title before the book is written, then I make a point of weaving the title into the story somewhere so that it has a cohesive, purposeful feel, which titles should have.


How much of the book is realistic? Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Strangely, I never write from personal experience or about people, I know. I don't know why. Real life is a rich environment to draw from.  For me, though, I rely strictly on my imagination.  And it's a pretty good one!  LOL


What books have most influenced your life most?

Probably Twilight since it prompted me to write my first book. My life would be completely different now if not for that series.  I'd probably still be working a job that I hate and I'd never have found my deep love and passion for writing. For me, that would be tragic!


What book are you reading now?

I'm finishing up Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.  It's fantastic!


What are your current projects?


I'm currently writing ALL THINGS PRETTY, which is book 3 in the Pretty Series.  It's Sig's story, if you are familiar with the books, and I am SO, SO, SO in love with him! OMG

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I do!  When I finished the Twilight series, I felt completely lost. It was as though all my friends had moved away.  I was on vacation at the time and I decided I'd sit down and write my own book so that I could keep those "friends" around as long as I wanted.  I wrote my very first book that week in June of 2009 and my life was forever changed.  If I could, I'd hug Stephanie Meyer and give her my heartfelt thanks.  But she's probably call security.  LOL


How long have you been writing for?

I have only been writing since the middle of 2009. Before that, I never had any interest in writing. I never even kept a journal. LOL


What is your favourite movie?

Probably Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. I love to laugh, so I tend to gravitate toward comedies :)  I really love The Wedding Date, too, though.  It's funny AND romantic!


How long does it take you to complete a novel from concept to completion?

It varies. I've written an entire book in 2 weeks, but once it took me 3 full months. I was working full-time at that point, but it was still my longest project.  Normally, I give myself about a month start to finish. I can usually hit that pretty consistently.


What was your first published piece? And how was it to publish your first book?


My first traditionally published book was The Wild Ones.  To see that paperback in a real, live bookstore was one of the most amazing, humbling experiences of my entire life.  I didn't know what to expect, so I went by myself just in case I made a fool of myself. LOL I didn't cry until I got to the car.  I didn't laugh hysterically until the next morning. I just stood there in the aisle, staring at it. It was one of those moments that you just never forget. Almost a surreal time that's hard to describe.


Do you have a special time or place to write?

Yes! I'm a creature of habit and I write best in the mornings, alone in the quiet of my office. I can't really write very well anywhere else. I have to have that specific surrounding to be able to concentrate.
THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH FOR HAVING ME ON YOUR BLOG! 
I'm forever grateful to y'all and to my wonderful readers.  You change lives, with your kind words, your undying support, never forget how important you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment