I am a wife and a mother of three.

19/01/2017

Author Interview with Debbie Williams 2017



Hi Debbie, can you tell us a little about yourself and what you been up to since we last spoke? 

Hi everyone. Where do I start? Since we last spoke I have signed with an awesome publisher Bella Tulip Publishing. I have my first release with them coming out on January 31st. It is a re-release of my first book under a different title and with some added to it. The title we have chosen is Breaking Free, which seems perfect as the lead characters are both breaking free from secrets and ties. I am also re-releasing my second book with them and again it is having a name change The Pastors Addiction which is the first in a series. I am almost finished with the sequel to this one and will be releasing it very soon.
The last year hasn't been a good one personally so it has taken me a good while to complete the sequel.

 
Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre? 

 If you write more than one, how do you balance them? I chose to write in the erotica genre, because to be honest with you I have a filthy mind lol. That sounds so bad when I read it back to myself but it's true 😇

What was one of the most surprising things you learned
 in creating your books? 

That I can actually create a story that people have enjoyed, people actually want to read what I have come up with.

What is the first book that made you cry? 

A Boy Named It by David Pfelzer, totally broke my heart.
 I wouldn't hesitate to tell people to read it but would warn that it is a very hard hitting read.

What are common traps for aspiring writers? 

So called vanity publishers. These are the companies that say they open for submissions, email you and tell you everything you WANT to hear, how amazing your story is and how they can make you a big success. Then they throw out extortionate charges to do so. STEER CLEAR.

What has your experience been like as a indie author? 

It can be a hard ride, as in all things in life you only get out what you put in. Don't expect everyone to like you or your work, and believe me you will learn just how hard social media can be

Does a big ego help or hurt writers? 

I think myself it is best to be true to yourself, don't be false
 it will honestly make you more likeable.

What is your writing Kryptonite? 

I find it impossible to write anything when my grandson is here, all I ever want to do is sit and read him stories 
or play games with him.

Did you ever consider writing under a pseudonym?

 When I first started out I was going to be Dee Wroetit but then thought no why should I hide the fact I wrote it. I should be proud not ashamed.

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, 
what would it be? 

Never give up



If you could spend the day with a character from one of your books who would it be and what would you?

 It would have to Trey Prescott from The Pastors Addiction, I mean come on who wouldn't want to spa no a day with a hot muscular guy who is addicted to sex 😈

What was the best money you ever spent as a writer?

 Purchasing a copy of my own first release, the buzz of holding a printed copy of my own work gave me the drive to carry on.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?

 I have two unpublished due to being unfinished at present Pastor Reformed the follow up to The Pastors Addiction and Where Lies Hope a spin off from the pastor series

Have you written any other books that are not published? 

I have a couple of short stories for children that I have scribbled out but not submitted anywhere as yet.

What’s the best way to market your books? 

Social media all the way. To be able to interact with readers and get their thoughts immediately on what you have done.

What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters
 from the opposite sex? 

The most difficult thing would getting the perspective right, I mean as a woman I don't know how it feels for a man when he orgasms, so it's a case of guessing and just hoping you got it right.

What period of your life do you find you write about most often? (child, teenager, young adult). 

I don't base any of my stories on my own life.

How do you select the names of your characters? 

I ask people I know what they think would be a good name for the character I describe. For instance in pastor reformed there is a young girl named Cadi, her name came from a readers mother.

Do you read your book reviews and how do you deal
 with bad or good ones? 

I have read them, and to be truthful you have to have thick skin. Take what people write with a pinch of salt. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?

 No but that is a great idea thanks lol

What was your hardest scene to write?

 I can't really say as it will be a spoiler for those
 who haven't read the book it is in.

Do you Google yourself? 

Nope why? Should I?

What is your favorite childhood book? 

That would be The Castle Of Adventure by Enid Blyton, 
I have read that so many times.

Does your family support your career as a writer? 

My husband does yes, in fact he has even added bits in and edited in the past. My kids are all grown up so it's a bit of a joke between them all.

If you had to do something differently as a child or teenager to become a better writer as an adult, what would you do? 

To have not been such a scaredy cat at times.

How long on average does it take you to write a book? 

I would say a couple of months if the idea has me absorbed.

Do you believe in writer’s block? 

Yes I do. For instance, I lost my mum in April last year which lead to me being unable to write until very recently. You have to be in the right headspace to be able to write and for it to be coherent.

No comments:

Post a Comment