I am a wife and a mother of three.

23/04/2018

Author Drew Sera interview 15th April 2018



Hi Drew can you tell us why did you choose to 

write in your particular field or genre?  

It’s just where my life and interest is at. If you write 
more than one, how do you balance them? I just write
 dark romance, though I have a sweeter romance a whirl 
and liked it, but found myself yearning for the dark pieces.

Which one of your characters is your favourite and why? 

This is a tough one because I love all of my characters and they all have a special place in my heart. Anthony Graves has taken me by surprise in the sense of how well received he’s been. He has a very dark past but has found some light in his life. So he’s my favorite.

Did any of your characters annoy or bug
 you when writing them and why? 

Yes, Paul Fielding has annoyed me a bit.
 He’s so dark, twisted and has given
 me a hard time.

What was one of the most surprising things you 
learned in creating your books? 

One of the most surprising things that I’ve learned 
is that so many readers connect with my characters. 




If you could have any of your books published or unpublished made into a movie or TV series. Which one would it be and why?

The Everett Gaming Series because I think there is so much depth to each of the characters and how their lives intertwine.

Growing up what was your favourite book? 

 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

What has your experience been like as a indie author?
 Bruises, highlights, lessons. 

I’ve been very fortunate in indie-land. I have an 
incredible mentor who has guided me along the indie path 
and a fantastic business partnership and friendship has evolved from it. I’ve also met a ton of readers who love talking to me 
about the books, which has been a great experience. I love talking to readers about my books.



Does a big ego help or hurt writers?

 This is a catch 22. The ego can help with the confidence factor, 
but it also can possibly hinder productivity if the person believes they have no room for improvement or growth.

What is your writing Kryptonite?

I have hitch words or phrases. I used to use “that” often, 
but now I seem to be on “though.” 

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, 
what would it be? 

Don’t be afraid to start doing what you’ve always
 had a passion in. Just do it.

If you could spend the day with a character from one of 
your books who would it be and what would you? 

I’d like to spend the day on the ocean with Colin Everett.

How many unpublished and half-finished books 
do you have? 

Currently four.

Have you written any other books that you decided 
not to publish for any particular reason? 

I have a title-less one tucked to the side. It’s a very raw 
and emotional book that I’m deeply connected to. I can’t
 seem to hit the “publish” button with it. Yet.

What’s the best way to market your books? 

Traditional paid ads are great but I really like connecting with readers and possible new readers either. Face to face at book events is my favorite though. I like to actually get to vocalize about the books to new readers. I also like connecting with my readers through my Facebook group, Drew’s Crew. I think readers like it when authors talk to them and when they can establish a connection with the author. 

What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters
 from the opposite sex? 

There’s a bit of research that goes into play...so a
 lot of questions for my better half.

Do you think there are any misconceptions
 about erotic story's? 

Yes, I think many people tend to think that it’s just smut without plots or emotions, which is totally false. Some of the most emotionally deep books I’ve read are categorized under the erotica label.

How do you feel when write the spicy/hot 
scenes in your books? 

I’m a tough critic on myself with these because I aim for them to not only be hot, but be realistic too. I scrutinize positioning and the practicality of it. 

What was the hottest scene you wrote for one of your books published or unpublished?

 Probably the hotel scene in “Us” between Anthony 
and Sydney while Colin watches.


What has been the reaction to the saucy scenes
 in your books by readers? 

I’ve received lots of comments about the chemistry between the characters and how that makes even mild scenes that much more exciting. 

How much of the book is realistic and are any of the experiences based on someone you know or events in your own life? 

There are pieces of people I know embedded 
in all of my character. 

 Without giving anything away what is/are your favourite scenes in any of your books and why? 

I have a few. One is that sexy hotel scene in “Us” because it captures so much trust between Anthony and Sydney. And without giving much away, I have several favorites scenes in “Ours.” All of them involve Anthony with Sydney, Blake, Matt and Colin. Anthony grew by leaps and bounds in Ours and finally stopped running from things. 

What period of your life do you find you write about 
most often? (child, teenager, young adult) 

I tend to write in the adult age frame but I do 
lots of childhood memories.

Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal
 with bad and good ones? 

I read all of them. The rough ones still hit me hard, 
of course, but I read them all.

Do you hide any secrets in your books that only
 a few people will find? 

Haha, all over the place.

What was your hardest scene to write? 

Many scenes in “Alone” were hard to write. I couldn’t pick a particular one out, but due to the content in that book, most of that book was difficult.


Do you Google yourself? 

Noooo.

Do your family support your career as a writer? 

My better half supports me like crazy. I’m very
 fortunate to have him.

If you had to do something differently as a child or teenager to become a better writer as an adult, what would you do?

 Simple...I would have written more.

How long on average does it take you to write a book? 

Books that range from about 50,000-60,000ish words take me around 4 or 5 weeks. Then there’s editing and beta reading on top of that.

Do you believe in writer’s block? 

I don’t suffer much from this but I believe it exists. 
Words come very easy to me for the subjects that I write.

If someone was to write a book about you, 
what would the title be? 

She Believed She Could.



Blog Note,
All images apart from the logo were provided by the author, the logo was made by this blog. I also just wanted to say thank you to Author Drew Sera for doing this it has been awesome talking to you.



For more interviews take a look around on here and be sure to check out my facebook page BLOGL.MEVANS

No comments:

Post a Comment