I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/02/2019

Author interview with Alyssa Rae Taylor



Interview written July 9, 2014 (Remastered for new blog)


INTERVIEW


WITH


Alyssa Rae Taylor

Please welcome the Beautiful, bubbly and the brilliant author behind Resisting Ryann and Raising Ryann, Alyssa.


1, Tell us a little about yourself?


I am a mother of three beautiful girls,


an animal lover, and a bit of a workaholic.


I usually do my writing during the daytime,


and my reading at night when my husband


and kids are asleep. I am a huge fan


of Supernatural and Son’s of Anarchy.

2, how would you describe your books?


I would say they are a bit complex with a mixture of Romance, Action,


Humor and Suspense. There also may


be a plot twist or two inside the pages. ;)


3, what genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping (if not already) to explore new ventures?


Goodness, this is a hard question. All of my books will have Romance, but I do like to throw in some action, suspense and mystery into the plot.


I’m not planning to steer away from Romance anytime soon. I do think it would be fun to write a dystopian novel/series,


but I’m not sure if I’m cut out for that.


4, Share with us a quote from one of your favourite characters?


"I’m in love with you,” he growls. “Can’t you see that? I live and breathe you. I bleed you,”


Luke Ryann.


5, is it hard to come up with new ideas and / or plot’s?

So far it hasn’t been too hard (crossing my fingers).


6, how long does it take you to complete a finished book?


I wish I could say that it’s easy, but for me it takes about 7-12 months. I have a problem with hitting the delete button.


7, what inspired you to write your book?


When I attempted my first short story in college and received a 100 percent on the assignment. I was a big reader at the time, but had no idea that I could actually write. I thought it would be fun to write a story that was different from what I’ve ever read. I wanted to write something that I would enjoy reading myself.


8, who is the easiest character to write for and why? Hardest and why?


So far, I would say that Gia has been the easiest character to write. I still have most of the friends I had back in elementary school. So maybe that’s why it feels pretty natural coming up with her personality. What girl doesn’t have a best friend like Gia?


I think the hardest character to write would be Luke, probably because he’s a guy. The last thing I want to do is make Luke sound like a woman.


9, Are your characters based on real people? People you may know on TV / Movie stars?


I’m sure that certain characters from different places influenced my own. I will say that Richelle Mead’s Vampire Academy is partly where I came up with Luke’s character. I loved Dimitri’s confidence and self-control. I wanted to make sure Luke had those qualities when I wrote him.


10, without giving anything away, what is / are your favourite scenes in your book?


I’m not really sure how to answer that without giving anything away. I’ll just say that my favorite scenes in both Raising & Resisting Ryann are in the bathroom. Luke & Reese are together in both of them- and no I don’t have a fetish with bathrooms. I promise.


11, what’s up next for you?


Breaking Ryann (Bad Boy Reformed 3)


12, do you have any hobbies?


I love to read, & watch my girls play soccer, and dance, traveling with the family.


13, is there anyone besides you in your family who writes?


My oldest daughter writes as a hobby. She’s thirteen.


14, When did you start? What was your first piece? First published piece.


My first attempt at writing a book is my first published piece, Raising Ryann (Bad Boy Reformed 1) August, 2013.


15, do you have any favourite books or authors?


 

I love anything by Colleen Hoover,


and SC Stephens.


16, of all the books and stories you’ve written which is your favourite?


Raising Ryann, my first book of course. J


1

7, do you have a favourite character?

Luke Ryann


18, what is your favourite genre to write?


Romance/Women’s fiction


19, what is your favourite genre to read?


Romance/Women’s fiction


20, what are your favourite movies?


“The Notebook.” I haven’t been able to find another movie that tops it.


21, how long have you been writing?


Three years.


22, who or what has been your biggest literary influence?


Colleen Hoover.


23, How Difficult is it for you to come up with one of your amazing plots?


It all just depends on my mood. Sometimes I can come up with all these ideas, and get really excited about writing them down. Other times it’s hard to come up with anything.


 


24, How about characters? Are they easily born and developed? 
25, do you find yourself a struggling writer?


For me, I think the character writing is the easiest part. I love writing the characters.


26, about how long does it take you to take for you to complete a novel from concept to completion?


7-12 months, but that may change.


27, have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn’t turning out as you planned?


Not yet.


28, Do you have a special time or place to write?


I get into my writing mode usually between 10:00 am- 7:00 pm. I’m not sure why that is. My brain just seems to function best during that time frame. I usually write in my home office or on the couch with my laptop when my back starts to hurt. Sometimes I go to a coffee shop and write there.


29, any funny experiences or quirks you’d like to share with your readers?


Many of the scenes that are written in Raising Ryann were developed after a bottle of wine and slurred conversation with my best friend.


30, which one of your books would you like to see made into a movie?


The Bad Boy Reformed Trilogy (it’s all that I have out).


31, what is your favourite band/artist/song?


Coldplay, Warning Sign. I adore them.


32, what was it like to publish your first book?


At first it didn’t feel real, especially when Raising Ryann hit the Amazon top ten. I never would have guessed that this would have been my future- that readers would be begging me to release the next one. I truly feel blessed.


33, what advice would you give to others who want to make writing their career?


Follow your dreams and don’t give up. It takes a whole lot of work, but you’ll get there, as long as you continue to believe in yourself. Don’t let the negative energy stop you. It’s impossible to please everyone. If at first you don’t succeed try, and try, again.


34, do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?


Yes. Whenever I get an idea that I don’t want to let go of, I either write it down, or type it into my phone, otherwise I’ll get angry at myself for forgetting.


35, how do you overcome writers block?


As long as I force myself to write on a regular basis, I usually will pull out of a funk. Sometimes I just need to take a small break, even if it’s a couple of days. It can really help.


36, Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?


I am one of those writers that need more time to write a good story. I have to think up the entire plot before I even write the first words on the manuscript. How I would love to be a turbo writer, but that’s just not me.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment