I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/05/2015

NYRAE DAWN

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH
NYRAE DAWN


please welcome the brilliant and talented author, NYRAE.

.................................................................................


Hell Nyrae,

Tell us a little about yourself?



I’m happily married, and a mom to two girls. Books play a huge role in my life.

I’m not only a writer but an obsessive reader, and a huge romantic.

How would you discribe your books?



At their core, most of my books are romance but they’re also about growing up, and overcoming adversity.



What genre is your work mainly?

Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping (If not already ) to explore new ventures?



I’m a contemporary girl at heart. I don’t really see myself writing anything else. I write both male/female romance, but I also just released my first male/male. I have more planned for the future.



Is it hard to come up with new ideas and / or plots?



Not most of the time. I think most writers often get random ideas at any point in time. I write them down so I remember them.



What inspired you to write your first book?

I’ve always loved writing. Since I was a kid I knew it was something I wanted to do. I finally just decided the time was right for me to go after my dream.



Who is the easiest character to write for, and why?  Hardest to write for and why?

I find myself leaning toward writing male point of view. I know it’s strange but it’s often easier for me to write male pov than female.



Without giving anything away, what is/are your favourite scenes in your book(s)?

I love scenes where the love interests interact. I love to write intense moments between them, and I also like to write banter between the love interests. I have different favorites though.

In my latest release, RUSH, one of my favorite scenes is when Alec goes to Brandon at the beginning of the book, when he knows Brandon needs him.

How Brandon automatically lets Alec in when he couldn’t with anyone else.



Do you have any hobbies?

I like to scrapbook though I don’t do it often enough.



Do you have a specific writing style?

I consider myself very character oriented. I’m very much a character writer.



How did you come up with the title?

RUSH’s original title was, MAKE ME WHOLE. I think it fit but I wanted to tie in the football aspect, which was how we got RUSH.



How much of the book is realistic? Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

No, they aren’t based on anyone I know but LGBT rights and equality are something I am very passionate about in real life.



What books have most influenced your life most?

I have books that made my love of the written word grow: Harry Potter is one.

I’m a huge lover of words and people who I think put them together beautifully like Sarah Ockler, David Levithan, Cath Crowley and Gayle Foreman.



If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

I’ve been blessed to have a few writers who I can go to and who will listen and help out.

I’ve gone to Raine Miller a lot. She’s so smart and helpful. I’ve also gotten advice from Sarah Ockler, which was pretty amazing. And and helpful. I’ve also gotten advice from Sarah Ockler, which was pretty amazing. And my close author friends feel like mentors to me as well. Wendy Higgins has to listen to me, and give me advice often. LOL.



What book are you reading now?

Nothing at the moment but I just finished ARISTOTLE AND DANTE. DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE and it was incredible.



What are your current projects?

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? I have a few projects in the works. A finished YA that I’m editing, and I have the bare bones of a new YA idea as well as the beginning of a NA novella. The novella will be about characters I previously wrote a YA book about :-)



Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Everything. LOL



Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

My favorite authors are my favorites either because their language is beautiful or because their voices are so realistic. I love Sarah Ockler’s Twenty Boy Summer, David Levithan’s TWO BOYS KISSING, Jenny Han’s SUMMER SERIES, and Nick Burd’s THE VAST FIELDS OF ORDINARY. I also love CK Kelly Martin’s I KNOW IT’S OVER, Mindi Scott’s FREEFALL, and I am in LOVE with the language in GRAFFITI MOON.



Who designed the covers?

Different people. RUSH was done by my publisher as was FAƇADE, MASQUERADE, OUT OF PLAY, and SEARCHING FOR BEAUTIFUL. My others were mostly my friends—Kelley York or Jolene Perry.



How long have you been writing?

Forever. LOL. With the goal of publication about nine years



Do you have a favourite movie?

The Perks of being a Wallflower.



How difficult is it to come up with one of your amazing plots?

and how about characters?

Are they easily born and developed?

My characters are my life. LOL. I feel very close to them all. I have to know them really well.

I put a lot of thought into my people, who they are, how they would react, and why.



How long does it take you to complete a novel from concept to completion?

Depends. SEARCHING FOR BEAUTIFUL, I wrote on and off for over a year.

RUSH was so loud in my head and heart that I wrote it in three weeks.



What was you first published piece? And how was it to publish your first ever book?

WHAT A BOY WANTS was my first. It was an incredible experience



Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?

Yep. I have a YA on my computer right now called GOLDEN that is completely finished and will probably never see the light of day. I also have a paranormal concept I LOVE, and 18,000 words written but I just can’t put it all together the way it deserves.



Do you have a special time or place to write?

Mostly during the day/ at home or I often write in bookstores or at Panera.



Which one of your awesome books would you like to see made in to a movie?

RUSH would be my first choice. I also think OUT OF PLAY would make a cool movie and WHAT A BOY WANTS, would be super fun as well.



Do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?



All... the… time! LOL. Just try and remember them until I can write them down.



Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?

I am usually pretty good at writing on demand.



How would you overcome writers block?

Write. That’s the only way. Even if the words aren’t great, some words are better than none. I can always revise

No comments:

Post a Comment