I am a wife and a mother of three.

03/02/2017

Author Nikki Ash 2017


AUTHOR INTERVIEW 
WITH 
NIKKI ASH


 Hi Nikki, can you tell us a little about yourself and your work?

My name is Nikki. By day I am an English and writing teacher, and a mom to two amazing kids. By night I am a reader and writer. I have written two novels: Fighting for a Second Chance which is out now, and Fighting With Faith, which will be available for preorder February 11th and releases February 22nd. They are both standalone novels in my Fighting series but it's recommended they be read in order.


Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre? If you write more than one, how do you balance them?

My novels are Second Chance fighter romance, one or more might be secret baby ;) It is honestly my all-time favorite genre to read. One day I was looking for a book with a certain story
 line in mind and when I felt like I have read them all,
 a friend suggested it would be fun to write it. So I did. 
And it was a lot of fun!


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

The most surprise thing I learned when creating my books is how much work there is to the business side of it. The writing was fun. It happened naturally. But when it came time to "share" my work, I had no idea all it would entail.

What is the first book that made you cry?

Undefeated by Scott Hildreth. It was my first fighter romance 
and even after reading it dozens of times, every time I read it,
 I can't help but cry.


What has your experience been like as a indie author? Bruises, highlights, lessons.

The biggest lesson I have learned is to write for myself. People are going to love you and many are going to love to hate you. If you love what you do it will never feel like a "job". I love reading and writing, and I can't imagine my life without either one.

Does a big ego help or hurt writers?

I'm not really sure I would call it a big ego. I think confidence helps an author. The more you are sure of yourself the more others will be sure of you.


What is your writing Kryptonite?

My writing weakness is writing what I enjoy to read. I see so many authors write a variety of work and I am not sure I could do that. I guess only time will tell.

Did you ever consider writing under a pseudonym?

Technically I do ;)


If you could tell your younger writing self anything, 
what would it be?

I just started writing and I like to think I'm still young! Hehe! Umm... I want to say I would tell my younger self to just write. I spent so many years reading and never even thought to write. However, I believe everything happens for a reason, and I think I started writing when I was ready to.


If you could spend the day with a character from one of your books who would it be and what would you?

Geez! I have not written two books and my issue is the character I would want to spend the day with would be Ashley. She's not heavily in the first two books but will be in the fourth book. She is a single mom and so damn strong. She puts her son first. I actually hate that I have to wait so long to write her story.


How many unpublished and half-finished 
books do you have?

None. I am a little OCD. I can only read one book at a time and I can only write one book at a time.

What’s the best way to market your books?

No idea... LOL I am still learning. Blogs are freaking amazing. I think them sharing my books has helped tremendously to get the word out. After that, It's the reader's word of mouth. I know as a reader when I love a book I want to tell everyone I know, and some of my readers are really awesome and do the same.


What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters
 from the opposite sex?

That's so funny because I actually relate more to the male characters than the females characters. I suck at relationships and being nurturing. :(


What period of your life do you find you write about most often? (child, teenager, young adult)

My novels begin at 18 but less to 25-30 years old.

How do you select the names of your characters?

Honestly, they all just came to me, except one. I don't want to give away anything in Fighting With Faith but one of the names is my daughter's middle name.


Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with
 bad or good ones?

I did at first but when I felt like I didn't want to continue to write because of the negative ones I decided not to anymore. However, I feel the good ones and ones that offer feedback and not just negativity deserve to be read so my best friend reads them and sends me the ones she feels I should see.


Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a 
few people will find?

Yes :)

What was your hardest scene to write?

The epilogues. Epilogues are my favorite part of the book when I read and I feel like I never do them justice. I'm no longer so hard on other author's!

Do you Google yourself?

No

What is your favorite childhood book?

As a little kid: The Giving Tree
As a teenager: The Giver

Does your family support your career as a writer?

Yes! Absolutely! My family has been so supportive every
 step of the way. They are truly amazing.

 If you had to do something differently as a child or teenager to become a better writer as an adult, what would you do?

Nothing. I don't look at the past, ever. I live with no regrets.

 How long on average does it take you to write a book?

Well I've only written two... my first one I wrote in less than 2 weeks! It was kind of crazy. It's just all came out. The second book took a little longer. The characters continue and I had to make sure it all made sense. It took about a month to write. I haven't started the third book yet.

Do you believe in writer’s block?

I believe you have to be in the mood. For me, it just needs to come to me. I know several authors who write every day and I think that's awesome but I can't do it. I have to be in the mood to read or write.


No comments:

Post a Comment