I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/02/2019

Author interview with Lindsay Paige


Interview Written July 9th, 2014


AUTHOR LINDSAY PAIGE


 

Please welcome the fun energetic and bubbly hockey mad. And one half of the awesome duo behind the penalty kill trilogy, Lindsay.


1, Tell us a little about yourself?


I’m a full-time writer and a full-time college student. I co-write books with Mary Smith as well. I love hockey and the NHL team, the Pittsburgh Penguins. I love Dr. Pepper and my mini Schnauzer, Bartley. Those are the things are pretty much occupy my time.


2, how would you describe your books?


Depends on which book(s). It ranges from sweet to sexy to learning how to survive a mental disorder. They are all romance books with ages ranging from 16-25. Most have hockey in them in some way, but some don’t.


3, what genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping (if not already) to explore new ventures?


As I said, they are all romance books. I started off in Young Adult and have ventured into New Adult and sports romances. I hope to dabble in sports other than hockey as well as different areas and aspects of life that a teen or college-aged person would experience. The main theme will remain romance for the foreseeable future, though.


4, Share with us a quote from one of your favourite characters?


My most recent favorite couple is Ryan and Gabe from You before Me. Here’s the quote:


Gabe reaches for the door, just as I do, causing his hand to land over mine.


He cracks a smile. “I’ll get it. You’re a lady, so-”


“That means I can’t open the door by myself?” I quip.


Gabe lets my comment fly right over his head. “No. It means I’m a gentleman and you don’t have to.”


5, is it hard to come up with new ideas and / or plot’s?


Sometimes, especially if you are still in love with your last book. I listen to music, go on a reading binge, and talk to people. An idea is always hiding around the next corner.


6, how long does it take you to complete a finished book?


Depends on complexity and my obsession as well as regular everyday life that likes to interfere here and there. Writing it can take anywhere from a month to four months to a year. After that, there’s quite a bit to do before it’s ready to publish which can add six months or so to the timeline.


7, what inspired you to write your book?


Inspiration comes from a lot of places and each book has a bit of me tucked between the pages. Music and life in general are huge sources for inspiration.


8, who is the easiest character to write for and why? Hardest and why?


None have really been easy, unless it’s a side character. Those are usually easy to write. Each character has demons and between that, the story itself, and whatever may be happening in my life, they all like to be difficult at times.


9, Are your characters based on real people? People you may know on TV / Movie stars?


Short answer: No. Do they have some traits of people that I know? Sometimes. Maybe. The characters grow into their own person and end up growing and changing throughout the story too. The closest character that is based on a real person is Samantha from Don’t Panic and even then, that is very loosely based.


10, without giving anything away, what is / are your favourite scenes in your book?


I love the very last scene in the Bold as Love series. It never fails to make me smile.


11, what’s up next for you?


I have an Adult Sports Romance series coming out that is coauthored with Mary Smith. I also have a New Adult Sports Romance standalone releasing later this year, which features three hockey players.


12, do you have any hobbies?


Reading, writing, and watching hockey. Do those count? My life is pretty boring between writing and school. Oh! I have recently started to run in 5Ks.


13, is there anyone besides you in your family who writes?


Nope. Just me. I’ve always been the odd one out. 


14, When did you start? What was your first piece? First published piece.


My first book, Sweetness, was published in 2011.


15, do you have any favourite books or authors?


Of course! There are a ton. Off the top of my head, I love Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay, and Me before You by Jojo Moyes.


16, of all the books and stories you’ve written which is your favourite?


I love them all, but my favorite is my next upcoming release with the 3 hockey players.


17, do you have a favourite character?


Maybe. Depending on my mood depends on which one I like the best.


18, what is your favourite genre to write?


If there’s romance, I love writing it.


19, what is your favourite genre to read?


I used to read pretty much nothing but paranormal romances and then that gave way to contemporary romances.


20, what are your favourite movies?


Fast & Furious, A Walk to Remember, Footloose, and Cars.


21, how long have you been writing?


Since 2010, so four years.


Whoa.


22, How Difficult is it for you to come up with one of your amazing plots?


Sometimes, it’s really hard and sometimes, it’s really easy. The difficult part is taking it from an idea to a full blown story.


23, How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?


They are easily born, but not so easily developed. Sometimes, they are “just missing something,” and it can take some time before I can figure it out. It varies with each story and character.


24, do you find yourself a struggling writer?


Creatively? Not really. I have slumps here and there, but that’s about it.


25, about how long does it take you to take for you to complete a novel from concept to completion?


Anywhere from six months to a year and a half.


26, have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn’t turning out as you planned?


I don’t ever trash a story. I will, however, toss it into a “Not Happening Anytime Soon” folder in case I want to work on it in the future. Sometimes, I’m just not in the right frame of mind to write that particular story.


27, do you have a special time or place to write?


Not really. I write wherever and whenever I get the chance. But, I do love writing on the couch in the living room and jotting down notes or scenes in the car or in the classroom.


28, any funny experiences or quirks you’d like to share with your readers?


Hmm. I was addicted to eating Smarties and Gobstoppers while writing you before me.


29, which one of your books would you like to see made into a movie?


I haven’t ever thought about it actually. It would be cool if it happened to any of them.


30, what is your favourite band/artist/song?


Oh, this varies on my book. But I did write a blog post of my top ten all-time favorite songs on my blog a while back: http://authorlindsaypaige.blogspot.com/2013/11/my-top-ten-favorite-songs-of-all-time.html


31, what was it like to publish your first book?


Scary as all get out. It’s still like that. I get nervous with every new book.


 

32, what advice would you give to others who want to make writing their career?

Write all the time. Keep improving and keep writing. Persevere through all the ups and downs and love your readers.


33 Do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?


I carry a notebook with me everywhere I go for when I get ideas at random times. But if I’m driving or in the shower and can’t readily write it down, I’ll repeat it over and over in my head until I can.


34, how do you overcome writers block?


I haven’t ever had writer’s block, but I have been in writing slumps. That’s usually when it’s been forever and a day since I’ve read a book. Binge-reading is my solution to take a break from the writing side and relax in other people’s characters and worlds.


35 Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?


Both. It depends really on the story. With my co-author, I can pretty much write on demand, but sometimes I need the time and space too. I have a tentative writing schedule of when I would like to have things done, but I don’t set a date or have a deadline because then, all my creativity stops. It’s a mental game, one I haven’t figured out a way to win in that area. In general, I don’t rush my writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment