I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/05/2015

KRISTIN VAYDEN


Please give a warm welcome to the fun, bubbly beautiful and incredible Author, KRISTIN.

************



Hello Kristin!

Tell us a little about yourself?

I’m totally one of those moms that walks into the grocery store with a small class behind them…only they are my own kids.  I have five children, ranging from 10 to 9 months and I’m blessed to stay home with them, which conversely means that they go everywhere with me!   I’m married to the love of my life. Honestly, it’s true! He’s my complete opposite and I’m SOO thankful. Life would be seriously boring if we were alike. Where I’m more reserved and thoughtful, my hubby is loud and enthusiastic.  When I can’t remember someone’s name (though I’ve asked them about a half dozen times before) my hubby can remember their name, middle name and phone number, (and he only met them once!) I love to bake, basically because I love to eat, but being sensitive to dairy and wheat, I have to be creative. So I am. It’s a necessity to have bread, fat and sugar in my life, so I adapted and can make some pretty awesome allergy friendly treats.  I’ve taught classical vocal coaching, can sing in Italian (but no, I don’t have any idea what I’m actually saying) and can play a mean game of Gin Rummy. 



How would you describe your books?

My books come from a wide variety of genres (time-travel romance, NA Romance, Contemporary Christian Romance, Scottish Romance, Regency Romance) but the common thread is hope.  In all my books, I want the reader to walk away with a happy sigh, a newly awakened hope in humanity and some awesome romance to dream about that night. I think my books are funny as well, at least I laugh when I write them, maybe it’s just because I get my own humor. *smile* I hope that my books are an escape as well. I’m not the type of person to go to the movies or select a book that makes me stressed out to read it, or that makes my brain hurt afterwards.  I have far too many wonderful things that demand my energy and effort; I don’t want to devote any of that precious reserve to a voluntarily stressful book/movie. I read to escape to a stress-free and bubble world of my own imagination. So my writing reflects that.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows in my books ( especially Beyond Broke and Pursued” but it’s the end that leaves you with a refreshing feeling of joy and hope, and ( I hope) you’re not stressed out reading them, rather it’s a blessing to read them.


What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping (if not already) to explore new ventures?

I LOVE Regency romance. It’s my favorite. But I’m also a fan of pretty anything Romance, except Erotica. I think I’d be open to writing almost anything in the romance genre.



Share with us a quote from one of your favourite characters in your books? From “What the Duke Wants.”

Carlotta. He practiced the name in his mind, letting its cadence float to his lips in a whisper. It was a beautiful name, a passionate name. The sound of it evoked the idea of color and desire. It was not the name for a governess, he decided, but a temptress.



Is it hard to come up with new ideas and / or plots?

At times. That’s where it’s really helpful to have a solid team of friends and beta readers who are willing to help you bounce around ideas. I’d be lost without mine. Also, reading is great inspiration. No, you don’t copy others ideas, but their creativity can help get your own started.



What inspired you to write your first book?

My sister. She is the one who kept encouraging me, (aka nagging me) till I finally began, and it’s been history ever since.



Who is the easiest character to write for and
 Why?

Hardest characters to write for and why?

The hero. I love to write about a witty hero with a seriously masculine nature and a wicked sense of humor.


Without giving anything away, what is/are your favourite scenes in your book(s)?

Hmm…the ones where the hero and heroine verbally sparr, and he realizes he’ll have to pursue her, rather than have her fawn over him. 


Do you have any hobbies? Does writing count?

My actual ‘job’ is being a wife and mother, so writing is what I actually consider my hobby!



Do you have a specific writing style?

Hmmm. I don’t know? I think that’s something

I’d probably have to ask one of my betas!


How did you come up with the title?

I honestly lay awake at night and think, trying to come up with ideas.

Sometimes it puts me to sleep; sometimes it keeps me up…



How much of the book is realistic?

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? Yes. In “Pursued” the whole storyline is loosely based on my own love story with my husband.  In “Living London” the whole first few chapters were written from a personal experience of someone I loved dearly, passing away.


What books have most influenced your life most?

Not to be totally trite, but I love my Bible. Its romance, scandal, war, passion, deception and truth all in one.


If you had to choose, which writer would
you consider a mentor?

 My sister, Rachel Van Dyken. She’s brilliant.

 Utterly and completely brilliant.



What book are you reading now?

My own! (I'm writing and editing at the moment!)

 But I WANT to read Marcia Lynn Mc Clure's newest release 



What are your current projects? If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

I just set up my newest release for Pre-order. “To Tempt An Earl” it’s the second book in the Greenford Water’s legacy; “What the Duke Wants” is number one.
I also am finishing a darker, regency called “The Forsaken Love of a Lord.”
It’s also going up for pre-order this week. (Hooray!) If I could do anything different? Hmm, write them faster?






Do you recall how your interest in
writing originated?

Yes! Because I love to READ!



Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Yes! This is from “The Forsaken Love of a Lord”
Olivia has one goal upon returning to London: Find Lord Langley and seduce him.

 It was no secret that her stepsister was a miserable excuse for a human being and the secrets shrouding her demise only added confirmation that even in death—she wasn't worthy of the handsome Lord.

According to rumors, Lord Langley is after revenge, but she’s after something far more dangerous.

His heart. One masquerade aligns their paths in ways neither of them could have imagined.

Will he succumb to the fair beauty?

Or forever allow his heart to be entrenched by the beastly claws of her dead sister?



 Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Hmm. Yes. Slowing down. Because once the end is in sight, I try to go too fast!


Who are your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I really REALLY love my sister’s books! They are amazing. She is so diverse it’s astounding. If you want regency? She’s the queen of that genre, if you want New Adult? Bam, she’s got the Eagle Elite series, or the Seaside one. Yeah. She rocks.



Who designed the covers?

Laura Heritage at PS cover designs.



What was the hardest part of writing your book?

 The middle, because I always know how to start, and how

I want it to end…but sometimes getting there can be tricky!



Did you learn anything from writing your
 book and what was it?

 Have patience.



Do you have any advice for other writers?

Keep writing! Get some honest people to read your work, and give you constructive criticism.  Be tough enough to hand it if they say it’s horrible. Ask why, change, and grow. I ask my betas to be mean, to shred the work to bits because in the end, it least to a stronger story.



Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

 I LOVE YOU! I’m so thankful for EACH of you,
you have no idea.



What were the challenges (research, literary,

Psychological, and logistical) in bringing it to life?

Making sure everything is historically accurate; it can be
difficult to find reliable resources.



What is your favourite genre to write?

Regency!



What is your favourite genre to read?

Regency and new adult. Oh! And Western Historical Romance…

Paranormal…have I mentioned that I LOVE to read?



How long have you been writing?

Almost two years.



Do you have a favourite movie?  

Don’t laugh. Frozen.



How difficult is it to come up with one of
 your amazing plots?

Once I get an idea, it’s usually not too difficult.



How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?

 Yes, I have a pretty wild
 imagination.



How long does it take you to complete a novel
from concept to completion?

 That depends on my own available time to spend on it.
 With five kids and my awesome hubby, I don’t have a lot of free time.
If it’s a book that needs to be published on a timeline,
I can have it written in a month or two, but that’s not including any editing time.



What was you first published piece?  

And how was it to publish your first ever book?

“Redeeming the Deception of Grace.”

It was surreal. I remember just staring at the computer, blinking, wondering if I was going to wake up and realize it was only a dream.



Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after
 finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?

Hmmm. No. BUT I have put a story into a file and left it till I felt I was more prepared to write it.



Do you have a special time or place to write?

Whenever, wherever. I need to be flexible!



Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like
 to share with your readers?

 I love to eat and write…like apple slices or chips…yeah.
I like to multitask.



Which one of your awesome books would you
 like to see made in to a movie?

Hmm… I think I’d love to see Beyond Broken
 made into a movie.



What is your favourite band or artist?

I love One republic. The only downside is that I usually
get their songs STUCK in my head!



What is the worst job that you have ever done and why?
 Dishwasher.  Because you had to touch other
peoples food all the time!



Do you ever get ideas at random moments,
and if so how do you hang on to them?

YES! And that is what Siri is for!



Can you write on demand and under pressure,
or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?

Hmmm. Yes. Probably because I usually DO write under pressure!
 I only get time here and there to write so when I get the chance, I gotta take it and run!



How would you overcome writers block?
Calling my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment