I am a wife and a mother of three.

18/01/2016

Jessica Anhalt


 Interview 
with
photographer Jessica Anhalt





Hello  Jessica, How are you today. Tell us a little about yourself ? 

Hi Louise, thank you so much for letting me do this interview. I’m super excited about it. I am a 28 year old Photographer from Philadelphia, PA. I am married, with no children but I do have the CUTEST dog ever. Besides from being obsessed with photography, I am a HUGE Disney fan, and avid shoe shopper. A girl can NEVER have enough shoes, lol. 

When and what made you decide to be a photographer? 

I don’t even know exactly when I decided. For as long as I can remember, I grew up with a disposable camera in my hand. It wasn’t anything fancy, but it was mine, and I have thousands of photos in boxes and scrapbooks in my basement. 



Do you have a favourite  lens that you like to use? 

I do, 28-75MM is my go to lens, but sometimes it depends on what I’m shooting. 

When your off traveling for a job what equipment do you take with you? 

To be honest, when I do travel I don’t take a lot with me. I do have a traveling light system if needed, but when I travel I prefer to shoot outside. Whats the point of shooting in an amazing location if you can’t utilize it? Plus natural light can be SO FUN! 

Do you have a assistant? 

I WISH! That’s one of my goals, I really need one. I carry all of my own stuff, and I do a lot of weddings, so it can be tiring to carry my stuff around and set everything up on my own. I’m hoping that I could find someone this year who is interested in photography, and that we can learn from one another. 

Are there any rules when your doing a shoot? 

It depends on the type of shoot I’m doing.  For instance, lets say I’m at a wedding. My general rule for me is just don’t get in my way, and I say that with a lot of love. I don’t mind other people around me taking photos, but I was hired to be there and take important photos, if you step in front of the first kiss shot for me I have to explain to the client why I didn’t get it. It’s not a fun feeling. For the most part, I’m a super friendly and down to earth person, not a lot of rules especially when I’m working with children. 


(This picture is available to buy from Jessica Anhalt)

Do you have a studio at home?

 I do not, I actually  just recently opened up a portrait studio in my home-town. Prior to that, I would go to clients homes and set up in their homes or outdoors. I love shooting outdoors, I will still be doing that even with my new studio when the weather gets better. 

How do you educate yourself to take better pictures?

 I’m addicted to pinterest, and you-tube tutorials. If there is something I really want to know, that’s how I figure it out. However, photography is just the process of trial and error. 

Who has influenced you the most? 

My Mom. Growing up she was a single mom, busting her behind to take care of me. She always taught me to work hard, do everything with love, and to never give up. I am confident and strong because of her. I really don’t know where I would be without her. She really made me who I am today. 


(This picture is available to buy from Jessica Anhalt)


Have you done a shot with any celebrities/ famous? 


I have not worked with anyone famous. I’ve worked with a few book cover models. I’m hoping this year I can add a few more additional models under my belt. 

Where is the nicest place you have done a photo shoot? 

The best thing about doing wedding photography, is there are a lot of amazing locations and venue’s that I’ve worked at. If I had to pick one, it would be the beach in Nagshead, North Carolina.  



(This picture is available to buy from Jessica Anhalt)

Are there any type of shoots you won't do for any reason?

 Hmm.. I never really thought about it. 

Are there any specific ways you'd like to display  your photo's?  

I save all of my images on my hard-drive after my clients are delivered their images via CD’s. I normally post a “sneak peak” on Facebook, and if I have any favorites they often end up on in my portfolio which I keep in my car for future clients. 


(This picture is available to buy from Jessica Anhalt)

What is the most requested type/layout of shoot that is requested? 

I would say first birthday’s are my biggest requested birthday shoot. Following up to a close second is Newborn and Maternity sessions. 

What are the models like you work with and have you done multiple shots with any? 

I have worked with some pretty amazing models! As I said above, I’d love to add more to my list and hope that this year I can do that. All of the models have been so nice, flexible and pretty much down for anything. There is a local  model, who wouldn’t consider himself a model, that I work with a lot. We do actually have a photoshoot coming up in February but we’ve already done 3 shoots together since 2014. 



What is the most romantic thing  a man has done for you? 

I would have to say my wedding proposal. My husband proposed in front of Cinderella’s castle in Walt Disney World during the fireworks and I’m a sucker for Disney. It was absolutely perfect. 

Do you use ideas for inspiration for any of your shoots from your own personal life?  

I generally just do photoshoots that are requested from parents however, that’s a really good idea and possibly something to think about in the future. 

How does it feel seeing your photos as book covers? 

It’s absolutely AMAZING. Words really cannot express it but I really love it, it’s such a proud feeling. 


(Picture taken by Jessica for Debbie's Debut book)

Do you have a favourite author? 

I have a few. K. Bromberg, Jasinda Wilder,
 and S Donahue. 

Do you like reading and what are you reading now? 

 I am actually reading Rediscover Jesus by Matthew Kelly and  beta reading Shredded to Pieces 
by S Donahue. 

What is your favourite movie and do you have a  favourite actor/actress? 

Everyday my favorite movie changes, but I really love The Notebook and Hook. I love Justin Timberlake, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Whalberg. For actress, I would say that Julia Roberts is one of my ultimate favorites. 

Do you have any annoying habits and funny quirks? 

I’d like to say no but I’m sure that’s not true… I keep everything written down and in my cell phone calendar that seems to be one of the only things that even I sometimes annoy myself with lol. 

Where do you see yourself in ten years time? 

My ten year plan definitely includes being a Mom, I’ve always wanted to be a Mom so I hope that I have a few children in there. and professionally I’d love to see my work expanding to more book covers, model work, publications and awards (I have 3 so far.) I’ve been published in a pin-up magazine before, but I’d love to reach something bigger. 


Thank you to Jessica for my first Photographer interview and for letting me use photos she took from photo shoots. If you are interested in any of the photos of the model's then please contact her at Jessica_layburn@yahoo.com . The photo's that are for sale have notes underneath them.

All photo's are copyright protected to ANHALT PHOTOGRAPHY AND DESIGN. 

Our Life cover belongs to author Debbie Williams.  

No comments:

Post a Comment