I am a wife and a mother of three.

02/07/2015

Kasandra Jenkins





Hi Krihstin how are you today?


Hi, Louise. I am splendid and absolutely thrilled to be interviewed by you. 

Can you tell us a little about yourself? 

I am a wife, mother, writer, and published author. I enjoy leisure reading, photography, cooking, and sewing. However, summer break has limited my hobby time. When I am not spending time with my husband and children, I am writing. My life motto is that time is too precious to waste. So, if it is not bringing me happiness or boosting my success I usually avoid it. 

What do you family think of your writing?  Has any of them read any of your work?

Honestly, I would rather they not read my work… Most of my family are highly religious, thus, the reason why I use a pen name and not my birth name. 



What is your star sign?

Scorpio

What is your favourite colour?

Violet

What is  your favourite  movie?

That is a tough one… I guess I would have to say Maleficent. I LOVE Angelina Jolie and who doesn’t love an anti-hero? 

Who is your favourite actor / actress? 

Actor: Alexander Skarsgård. Actress: Angelina Jolie 

Are the stories old ones you have saved or new?

Scarlet’s Torment I started in late 2012. There were many hiccups along the way: Countless publisher rejections, but I believe fate wanted me to be an independent authors, it was destined I publish via Kindle.  



When and why did you begin writing?

Writing has always been a constant in my life. I was blinded by wealth and studied for a career I thought I wanted due to the financial gain. Journaling as a child fostered my love for writing, but I never saw myself as a successful writer. However, when I finished the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy, I was so moved by E.L James’ career change, that I thought it best to follow what came naturally – I started writing and never looked back.


When did you first consider yourself a writer?

The moment I started my first novel I coined myself
 a writer. 


What inspired you to write your first book?

I am a Master of Science Psychology, and throughout my studies I have gleaned that to be happy in life we have to pursue careers that will make and keep us happy. When I am not with my family, I am writing and letting my imagination take control. 

Do you have a specific writing style?

Well, if anything I would consider myself “old school.” Writing is a cathartic process for me: First, I handwrite – yes, with college ruled paper and a black or blue pen. Then once I feel I have created a sufficient story, I type, edit, edit, edit (haha!) and now self-publish. 

Who was the easiest character to write for and why and  hardest and why?

Creating Scarlet was easy due to my own parenting history, I was reared by my mother and always had an elusive relationship with my father. Writing as a man I view as difficult for obvious reason. Also, when I wrote Scarlet’s Torment I found myself recollecting a lot of my relationship mishaps and successes. David is the mesh of all the great qualities I saw both in my husband and previous boyfriends. I can’t help it, I like smart, sweet, but super sexy men. 

What was your favorite book as a child?

As I child I LOVED Goosebumps, they would scare the mess out of me. However, now as a parent, I do not find the stories as frightening… 
How did you come up with the title?
As a psychology major I used a lot of my psych knowledge to mold my characters. And when I reflected on Scarlet and her childhood, I felt that she was tormented by her past – hence, Scarlet’s Torment.  

How much of the book is realistic?

None. It is all fiction based, well… some of the sex I have lived. But the story itself is fiction. 

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

The story is fiction, but a smidge influenced by my sex life. Honestly, Scarlet is my avatar if I were to have one. 


What books have most influenced your life most?

I have to say 50 Shades of Grey, not because of the kink. What I grasped from FSOG was that there was a person, that was troubled, and ultimately hurt, and then he found someone that was able to love him for who he was. I know, it is not the point of the story, but that is what I took from it. Also, at one time I was OBSESSED with the Sookie Stackhouse series, but when I read the last book… I was just so hurt that she didn’t end up with Eric. As you can tell, I am a fan of both Eric Northman and Alexander Skarsgård.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Hands down, Charlaine Harris, she made Sookie so relatable that that was what I wanted to create: A relatable protagonist, not the super model that has it all.. 

What book are you reading now?

As a bibliophile, I have many unfinished books. However, with the launch of my debut novel, Scarlet’s Torment; I am currently self-promoting my book and writing my next standalone novel… Wish there was more time for reading.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Honestly, I am guilty of not keeping up with what is mainstream in the reading community. I take my writing career seriously, and although I am a self-proclaimed book hoarder –  regretfully, I am a tad oblivious to new authors. 

What are your current projects?

I have several standalone novels I started writing while I completed Scarlet’s Torment. As much as I enjoy series, sagas, and trilogies – I find I am happiest when I take breaks from characters. Doing so helps me miss them and create a better storyline. 




Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

My childhood diary would be the origins of my writing career, but like I said I did not consider myself a writer until I started Scarlet’s Torment. 
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
I am undecided on the title, but my next book is set in the 90s in DFW, TX. My protagonist is named Klaire Simon Timber, she is the weaker link in her friendship to Kendra Henderson, Klaire’s outgoing, charismatic BFF. Their friendship takes a turn for the worst when the girls stumble into the drug scene of DFW, TX. What should have been an amazing senior year turns into an introduction to drugs, sex, and crime. 

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Time. As mentioned, I am a stay-at-home parent and finding time to promote a book, establish connections, and write my current novel – is exhausting. Currently, my eye is twitching from stress that is a result to attempting to do it all.  

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Charlaine Harris’ ability to provide enough detail to paint a mental picture is why she is my favorite author. Frankly, I am not a fan of writers that write every-single-detail, I would like to help in the mental fabrication of characters, it helps me enjoy the story. 

Who designed the covers?

I did, via Kindle Direct. 

Who was the inspiration  behind your characters? 

 Honestly, I propose I have taken snip-bits of all the fiction characters I have ever liked and created my own. 

If one of your books was made into a film who would you cast as the leads?

Scarlet, I always pictured as Scarlett Johansson and Channing Tatum would be David, only because his rear end is much firmer than Alexander Skarsgård’s.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Transitioning from physical format to typed can be tedious and annoying. But other than that, I enjoy the many steps I take when writing my novels. 

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Don’t give up. If you believe that this is your path, that this is what you are meant to be: Believe in yourself. Ignore what everyone else thinks or says, only you can determine who you are meant to be. 

Where do you see yourself in ten years time? 

Hopefully, at a book signing celebrating another successful novel with my many fans. 

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers. 

Thank you for taking time out of your life to enjoy my work. XOXO!


Everyone please go check out Kasandra's book on amazon now.

No comments:

Post a Comment