I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/05/2015

LYNETTE CRESWELL

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

 WITH

 LYNETTE CRESWELL

PLEASE WELCOME THE BRILLIANT AND TALENTED AUTHOR BEHIND THE MAGIC TRILOGY, LYNETTE CRESWELL.


Tell us a little about yourself?

I am an author of several books and short stories. I have written the ‘Magic’ trilogy which is a fantasy series and a 10 minute light-hearted romance called, The Witching Hour. I have been writing ever since I could hold a pen and it’s my one true passion.

How would you describe your books?
They are fantasy books which have lots of twists and turns. Each chapter is filled with magical characters such as dragons, witches and powerful magicians and they take you to another world.

What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping (if not already) to explore new ventures?
At the moment I am still writing fantasy but my writing is very versatile. My first romance which is a short story has been published in America, hitting the bestsellers charts on Amazon and reaching number four. I have also written a short story about an old lady suffering with Dementia. The Generation Game won a writing competition in the UK and was made into short film. The story was narrated by the actress, Julie Peasgood and should be on the TV early next year.

Share with us a quote from one of your favourite characters?
‘My how people call me wicked, yet you Elveria,
you are truly poison.’ 
Taken from the book ‘Betrayers of Magic’ when
the witch confronts the elder mage.

Is it hard to come up with new ideas or plots?
No not really. I usually write a brief outline of a story and then I just start writing and see where the story takes me. It never ends as I expect and that to me is the joy of writing fiction.

The time scale varies depending on what’s happening in my life. For example, my first book took five years to write because I still had children living at home but Betrayers of Magic only took six months. It all depends how much free time I have because I now work at the local hospital and the hours sometimes vary. Defenders of Magic only took me six months to write because I was convalescing at home after a major operation.

Who is the easiest character to write for and why?
I find all my characters easy to write about. They are all in my head and I know their characteristics and moods. I find that I usually mould a character good or bad on someone I know and then ‘tweak’ them to suit my purpose.

Hardest and why?
I think King Foruisan, leader of the Nonhawk was the most difficult to write about because he’s not only mean but he also has quite a vicious streak which I wanted to show without being too graphic and upsetting some young readers.

Are your characters based on real people? People you may know on TV or Movie stars?
Not all my characters are based on real people but a few of them are. They are usually people closest to me or someone I have met who has left a lasting impression on me.

Without giving anything away, what is or are your favourite scenes in your book?
I have many but I think one of my most favourite scenes is from Betrayers of Magic when a powerful mage has a shocking secret revealed in the court of magic by the one person he never expected.

What's up next for you?
I am still debating whether to write a few more short stories or try my hand at a paranormal romance.

Do you have any hobbies?
Writing, writing, writing!

Is there anyone besides you in your family who writes?
There isn’t anyone who is taking it seriously but my son Gary has started to dabble!

When did you start writing?
I started writing whilst at junior school and carried on from there. I began to get articles published as a teenager in the local paper but didn’t start writing novels until my children were beginning to leave the nest.

What was your first published piece?
My first story was published in the school newsletter back in the 1980’s.

Do you have any favourite books or authors?
Yes tons! I adore Charles Dickens, Stephen King, Barbara Erskine, Nora Roberts and lots, lots more!

Out of all the books and stories you've written which is your favourite?
I truly don’t have a favourite but I am very proud of my first book Sinners of Magic. This is mainly because writing this story was such a massive learning curve for me. I remember waiting for my first review secretly dreading what they would say and when it was 5 stars I thought the reader was just being nice. Then when I started to receive more and more 5 star reviews that was when I realised all my hard work had paid off. Even now, readers contact me to let me know they love the book so much they have read it over and over again. For me, this speaks volumes about the content and considering it was my first book I personally think it’s an enormous achievement.

Do you have a favourite character?
This is a very difficult question because I truly love all my characters (good and bad). I don’t think I could choose one I’m afraid. I adore Crystal simply because she was my protagonist in the ‘Magic’ trilogy but I also care for her Elvin mother Amella and her ‘mortal’ mother Beatrice. The mighty warrior, Arhdel was so loyal to the princess that he should have a mention too. Of course there is also Niculmus DeGrunt, the handsome and headstrong apprentice who lives in the Kingdom of Nine Winters and who ignites teenage passion.

What is your favourite genre to write?
Most defiantly - Fantasy

What are your favourite movies?
Twilight, Harry Potter, The Shawshank Redemption, The Giver, The Book Thief, Thor.

How long have you been writing?
Since I could hold a pen.

Who or what has been your biggest literary influence?
Stephen King is a massive influence. He is so talented and I love the fact he is willing to share his vast knowledge with aspiring writers.

How difficult is it for you to come up with one of your brilliant plots?
I never know how my stories are going to end and so the plot usually unravels by itself. I do have a guide that I try to stick to so that I don’t go off on a tangent but on the whole; the plots usually come together on their own.

How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?
I usually decide what characters I need at the beginning of the story but one thing I’ve learned ... nothing ever goes to plan. Take my latest book, Clump, A Changeling’s Story. The main character is a Windigo, a changeling who is a monster by day and a wolf by night. This story was supposed to be about his life and although the plot does stay to true to my original idea, I have introduced Horith one of the other males of the tribe who was never supposed to be a lead character but has become a very important part of the story.

Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?
No, if I have written a full blown novel and I’m not happy with it I will simply work on it until I am.

Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?
Yes, I was once doing a book signing in Grimsby, Lincolnshire and a lovely lady said she had brought me a gift. I was rather curious and then she handed me a cabbage! I didn’t quite know what to say but I smiled politely as she revealed she had been growing them and thought I might like one. I think I can say that it was the strangest gift I’d ever received.

Which one of your books would you like to see made into a movie?
All of them!!!

What is your favourite band or artist?
I adore listening to Ellie Goulding, Michael Buble, the Kaiser Chiefs, ELO.

What was it like to publish your first book?
It was awesome! I felt like my first child had been born all over again!

What advice would you give to others who want to be a writer?
Believe in yourself and your ability to write because if you don’t then nobody else will. It really is true. Even though you will find it tough at times being a writer, you have to be true to yourself and keep telling yourself you WILL make it one day.

Do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?
Yes, I do, especially when I’m sleeping which is very annoying because I then try and wake myself up so that I can write my ideas down. I always have a pen and paper with me wherever I go so that I don’t lose a single word. Sometimes I am in the car driving home from work so I have to pull over and use my phone so I don’t lose that moment of inspiration.

How do you overcome writers block and do you have a special place you like to write?
I have a few writer friends whom I meet with every few weeks. If I’m struggling with a scene or not quite sure where I’m going with the story, I’ll talk to them and it really helps. Also my husband is fantastic at creating new adventures and his imagination is quite amusing at times.

Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?
I can’t write under pressure. I need to sit and relax and really think about how to start a story. Once I am ‘in the zone’ the writing usually comes quite quickly but I want my writing to always be fun so I don’t wish to be pressurized by anyone to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment