I am a wife and a mother of three.

24/05/2015

R.L MATHEWSON

AUTHOR INTERIVIEW
WITH
R.L Matthewson



Please welcome the brillant and talented author wo brought us the hilarious series
Neighbours from hell, R.L Mathewson.


Hi Rebecca,Tell us a little about yourself?

Well, I am single mom of two wonderful children. I’m pretty laid back even though I am a bit of a workaholic, lol. I like to joke around, just relax and enjoy myself.

How would you describe your books?

I would describe my books as a means of escape from the stress from everyday life. I try my best to work humor into the story, make the characters down to earth and try to keep the drama to a minimum since there’s enough of that in the real world.
What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping ( if not already) to explore new ventures?
I write romance, but with different aspects such as paranormal, contemporary, and historical. I am also currently writing a how to write and publish book that I hope will help aspiring authors.

(ALL BOOKS PICTURED ABOVE ARE AVALIBLE
ON AMAZON NOW)

Share with us a quote from one of your favourite characters?
I’m not sure that Kale is my favorite character, but he’s up there. This is from the upcoming book, Tall, Silent and Lethal. It’s part of the Pyte/Sentinel Series, which is one of my paranormal series.

“What exactly was it about my fucking sunny disposition that made you think that I would overlook being fucked with?” Kale snarled, his voice guttural and the closest that Caine had ever seen the annoying shifter coming to losing control.
Is it hard to come up with new idea's or plot's?
No, not really. The problem for me is to block them out so that I can focus. I’ve lost track of how many new story ideas have bombarded me over the years. If I can’t stop thinking about them, I will start a file for them, put down a general idea of what the story is about and put it aside. I have over seventy such files on my computer waiting for my attention at the moment.
How long does it take you to complete a finished book?
It really depends. Paranormal novels are easily the toughest books that I write. This last one, Tall, Silent and Lethal took me over a year because of family obligations and a tough situation that my daughter was going through and because there was just so many points that I had to hit to make this book work and ensure that the rest of the series went smoothly. 
Who is the easiest character to write for and why? Hardest and why?
The easiest characters are probably the Bradfords, because every Bradford shares the same basic formula to begin with and then they each get their own personality and problems. I know who they are, what they need to do and the person that I want them to end up being by the time I send the book off to the editors.

The hardest are definitely the paranormal characters. I have to work their past through in my head, make their personality and behavior consistent when things change.

Without giving anything away ,what is or are your favourite scenes in your book?
There really are too many to pick, but I guess I would say the bedroom scene when Haley takes Jason by surprise. 
What's up next for you?
Bookwise, Tall, Silent and Lethal is currently in the editing process. Then I have a How to Write book in the books, which I am hoping to have done by November 1st. I also just started my own company, part of which will be set to help aspiring authors. Then of course is The Game Plan, the next Neighbor from Hell novel which I am hoping to finish in time for Christmas.
Do you have any hobbies?
I love playing sports with my children, traveling, cooking, reading and yes, cleaning, lol. 
Is there anyone besides you in your family who writes?
My children love to make up stories 
When did you start? What was your first published piece?
I started writing in late 2007 to get an escape from a horrible marriage. I finished writing my first book in probably 2009, but held off publishing until probably late 2010. I ended up publishing Tall, Dark and Lonely and A Humble Heart at the same time. 
Do you have any favourite books or authors?
Lothaire, hands down my favorite book. Kresley Cole, Julia Quiin, GA Aiken and so many others.
Out of all the books and stories you've 
written which is your favourite?
A Reclusive Heart. Jamie and Nick own a piece of my heart for so many reasons. I finished writing this book when my world came apart. I wasn’t prepared for what happened, hadn’t expected it or even wanted to consider something like that ever happening to my family, but once it did, I was left struggling to support two children without a job, a car, or any hope for the future. I put everything that I had into this book, worked day and night, got to know the characters all over again and by the time I published the book I’d resigned my fate to this book. 
Do you have a favourite character?
-Nick and Jamie, but really, all of them. When I write them they are all my favorites, my family, my best friends and when I finish their books I feel like I’m saying goodbye to a part of myself.
What is your favourite genre to write ?

-Contemporary romance.
What are your favourite movies?
I love horror flicks, except for zombies, romantic comedies, comedies. 
How long have you been writing?
Close to seven years now. 
Who or what has been your biggest literary influence?

GA Aiken.
How Difficult is it for you to come up with one of your brilliant plots?
They usually just hit me and then I’ll let them play around in my head for a while until I have the basis for a story that I like.
How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?
Some are easier than others. It honestly depends on the genre and character. 
About how long does it take you to take for you to complete a novel from concept to completion?
-A contemporary could take me less than two months, but a paranormal can take me a pretty long time
Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?
-Yes, a few times actually. It’s painful, but it is a learning process. I take what I can from the book, figure out where I went wrong and then hit delete. 
Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?
-Lol, not really. I work behind a desk most of the time, by myself. I’m sure that if I had a co-worker or two I’d probably keep myself busy with antics all day. 
Which one of your books would you like to see made into a movie?

-One of the Neighbor from Hell movies.

What is your favourite band or artist?

-I don’t really have a favorite. I like to listen to modern day country, alternative rock, R&B, etc. The music that I listen to really depends on my mood. 
What was it like to publish your first book?

-Terrifying, but I came to a point when I was even more terrified not to. 
What advice would you give to others who want to make writing their career?
-There is just so much to say, but basically I would say, don’t give up. Keep trying. 
Do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?

-Yes, I put them in the computer. 
How do you overcome writers block and do you have a special place you like to write?
I will switch to editing or move onto a different book. Get away from the computer if it gets bad. 
Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?

-I had writing on demand. It stresses me out and can rush the work. I’ve made the mistake of setting deadlines before and try not to do them anymore.
All of R.L MATHEWSON'S BOOKS ARE ON AMAZON NOW TO DOWNLOAD

No comments:

Post a Comment