I am a wife and a mother of three.

30/05/2015

LEDDY HARPER

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH
LEDDY HARPER


Hi Leddy,Tell us a little about yourself?

I'm a mother of three, and have been married to the love of my life for almost ten years! I've been writing for 16 years but just recently decided to put something out. It's always been for me, but figured there would be no harm in publishing it.

How would you describe your books?

All over the place hehe. I just write what comes to me. I don't like to stick to just one thing... it's just wherever my mind takes me.

 What genre is your work mainly?
 Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping ( if not already ) to
 explore new ventures?

I would like to try it all. But I will admit, I get very shy when writing the dirty stuff, I prob won't ever write erotica. And at some point, I would like to try dark, but not until I feel I can do it right.

Share with us a quote from one of your favourite characters in your books?


My work in progress is a book titled Benevolent. The main character is Dane and I just love him. If I had to pick one of his lines, it would be this: (they are discussing her job interview and she said she was going to take out her Monroe piercing) "That would be stupid. It's hot. Leave it in."

Is it hard to come up with new idea's and or plot's?

HAHA no. I sometimes have to stop listening to music while I'm in the middle of writing a book because ideas start flooding in and I have to push them aside so I can finish what I'm doing.

What inspired you to write your book?

Songs have always been my inspiration. I'll listen to something that really makes me feel and I start wondering what the song means. That's when I think about the words and in no time, scenes start playing in my head. Then I wonder about the people in them and voila... a book is started!

Who is the easiest character to write for and Why? Hardest and why?

I'd say it's easiest to write an insecure person because I can be insecure about a lot of things. Same goes for the hardest. I have a hard time writing a strong female character because I've never been that person.


Without giving anything away, what is / are your favorite scenes in your book(s)?

I love writing the funny things. The good chemistry between the characters. There are lots of those in Benevolent, and I love them all. I love to be silly and flirtatious so it comes easy for me.

Do you have any hobbies?


Other than writing and reading, I love to draw. My mom taught me when I was really little how to sketch faces and I love to do that.

 Do you have a specific writing style?

I'm sure I do, but I wouldn't really what it is hahaha.
 I just write what's in my head without paying much attention to it.

 How did you come up with the title?


Home No More was from the song that started the idea (it's the same song that's in the trailer). And Benevolent came from thesaurus.com. :)

 How much of the book is realistic? Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Not at all. There are things in it that came from things my best friend says and does, but that's about it. Writing has always been my therapy, so somehow, my thoughts and feeling drive the story, but nothing specific is real. More of a metaphor.

 What books have most influenced your life most?

So many! Archer's Voice and Hopeless prob influenced me the most on the emotional delivery, and Allie from Jettie Woodruff's Star Series influenced a lot of the humor I try to add. But I've learned a lot from every book I read. I take how the book makes me feel and try to incorporate those emotions in mine. It's hard to know what will affect readers and what won't.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


Hands down, Jettie Woodruff. She has taught me so much about putting a book out there and has helped so many times when my insecurity over it all has come up. I've also been blessed to have amazing support from Gina Whitney and LD Davis, too, but it was Jettie that told me I needed to go for it.

 What book are you reading now?


Domesticated by Jettie Woodruff. I'm obsessed with it. So much so that I want to play Kendra Ashby when the movie gets picked up! LOL


 What are your current projects? If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your books?

I am currently working on Benevolent that will be out in late November. And no, I wouldn't change anything. I literally see it all happen in my head before I sit down at my computer. I write until the thoughts are gone. I hate forcing something to happen or come out. I know it will come out the way it is supposed to, and just hope for the best.


Do you recall how your interest 
in writing originated?


Embarrassing but true story... I was a HUGE N SYNC fan! My very first book was handwritten in a spiral notebook about a girl that fell in love with Lance Bass and went on tour with them (really funny looking back on that now). It was all in one paragraph with no chapters. After that, I loved the idea of telling a story that I just kept going. I always stuck with romance, though, since I'm a romance junkie.


Can you share a little of your current work with us?


It's called Benevolent, and it's about a guy named Dane. It's all in his p.o.v which has been fun to write. He is a very selfless man that has always put others needs before his own, and after meeting a temptress named Eden, he fights with the need to be selfless, and the want to be selfish.


 Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


Oh goodness! The sex scenes! I LOVE to read them, love to talk about them, but turn into a shy little girl when writing them!


 Who is your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I have so many! But my favourite would have to be Jettie Woodruff. I love how she doesn't stick to the box. She writes dark so well, but then can turn around and write a book that has me laughing hard! She doesn't care if topics are controversial either. She just writes what she wants, and never lets the critics get to her. She's also extremely personable, and is so thankful to her readers. She always makes time for anyone.


 Who designed the covers?


Rebecca Marie, from The Final Wrap. She does 
amazing work!


What was the hardest part of 
writing your book?


It's always the same. The really emotional parts that make me almost feel depressed as I'm writing it. I usually have to take breaks, but once I'm done, I let out a sigh of relief and take in a deep breath.


 Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

What I learnt wasn't from the actual book, it was in the process of putting it out there. I worried so much before I did it that no one would like it or that I wouldn't be able to compete with others. But once I started hearing feedback and seeing what people were saying about it, I learnt that I need to have more confidence in myself and in my work. And that made it all worth it.


 Do you have any advice for other writers?


Just write from the heart. Don't try to write something that you think everyone will love, just write what you love and what you believe in and the rest will follow.


 Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?


THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!


 What is your favourite genre to write?

Romance. I love a good love story!


 What is your favourite genre to read?

Anything. I haven't really been a fan of paranormal, but I won't say I won't ever give it a chance.


 How long have you been writing for?


16 years. But my best friend was usually the only one that ever read them.

What is your favourite movie?


Ever After with Drew Barrymore. I watch it at least 
once a year.


 How difficult is it to come up with one of your amazing plots?


The plot isn't so difficult to come up with as much as it is to write it in a way that won't give it all away at once.


How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?


All of my characters have personalities after people I've either met or know, so it's pretty easy.

  How long does it take you to complete a novel from concept to completion?

I've never been on a deadline before since I only ever wrote for myself. But this one I'm working on now will probably be three weeks from start to finish, and I only spend about 3 days a week writing. The rest is what I call marinating time ;)


What was your first published piece? And how was it to publish your first book?


Home No More... and TERRIFYING! But so worth it!


Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?


Oh all the time! I usually know by 20,000 words if I'll continue or not.


 Out of all your brilliant characters Which ones were you favourite?

Lincoln Hunt from Home No More.


Do you have a special time or place
 to write?


My back patio... that way my kids can run around the backyard while I write.


 Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?

I often add another T to the word it (tit) and absolutely terrified I won't catch it while writing something and people with think I'm a perv! LOL


Which one of your awesome books would you like to see be made in to a movie?


I'm not sure... they play as a movie in my head as I'm writing them, so I guess any would do.


What was the worse job you ever done?


Washing dishes growing up. My brothers were (and still are) very messy eaters. I still hate doing the dishes now! Ruined for life!


Do you ever get any ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hand
 on to them?


All the time. Usually when I'm laying down for bed. I just keep playing it out in my head and hope I can remember it all ;)


Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow and how do you over come writers block?


I definitely need time sometimes. I have to let the words and the scene play itself out in my head, and most times, once I'm writing, things just come out that I didn't see coming. Those are always my favourite parts,
 the accidental ones.

 Who was your inspiration behind your lead men in your books?


Oh goodness, I should say my husband, which I'm sure some of it is, but I think most of it is just my imagination. Those things all girls wish every guy had. I guess I take pieces from everywhere and put them into my guys. Either movie characters, actors, friends, family, and of course, my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment